Sunday, July 11, 2010

Blog 101

Blog 101: Those of you familiar with the workings of a blog can skip to the next paragraph. My guess is, I still have a number of people reading at this point. I wanted to point out that there is a comment section below each blog entry. Look just below the entry and in green it says, " 0 Comments". Two blogs actually say, "1 Comment" (thanks Alan). It would be great if I could read what you people think of after they read an entry. Stories, tips, recipes, whatever. Everyone can read the comments and I can even comment on your comments. Blogs are meant to be interactive!

I am not proud of this, but my television viewing has increased substantially since having Sonia. At night I want something to keep me up while I am feeding her, but during the day somethimes I just wanting something to do while feeding Sonia that is not hard to turn my attention away from if she needs me. This morning I was flipping channels and ended up watching the last half hour of "Cold Mountain". The book by Charles Frazier is an incredible story. If possible, you should read it. The movie mostly reminds me of the book but it is better than most in its own right. I do not want to give away the ending, but as usual, I got tears in my eyes.

Although there is a lot of tragedy in the story, thinking of the movie and looking at Sonia asleep in my lap did not make me sad, but gave me a warm sense of peace. I realized that babies are a reminder of the promise of tomorrow. Alan recently pointed out to me that for centuries people have thought the Earth was on the brink of a catastrophic collapse that has never actually happened. He wondered if the processes of global warming, pollution, desertification threatening our planet will not be as destructive as we fear. For a long time, the scientist in me could not see how these things would ever resolve, but now I wonder if there are solutions. Sonia has indeed brightened and widened our thoughts.



This picture was actually taken over a month ago, but it seemed to fit.

3 comments:

  1. It's amazing how much she has grown in a month. She looks small in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully every generation will be a little more educated and will figure out how to live in peace and sustainably. Yesterday they finally stopped the massive oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico. It began about 1 week before Sonia was born. I took them about 88 days I think - I hope this will be the worst environmental disaster in her generation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog. What a good mommy you are. Your life has changed a lot since Todd and I saw you in Iowa. Your baby girl is beautiful. We will check in with you often. You can check out what is happening in Oregon by going to my blog. www.grammascottage.blogspot.com. You will see what Todd and I have been up to and the (grown) kids and grandkids. Take care.
    Sincerely,
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete