Friday, September 3, 2010

Coy Pond

Sonia has something in common with her Grandpa Jeff and Grandma Tammy. They all love looking at fish.



When she gets fussy at their house, looking at the coy pond is her Grandpa's favorite way to soothe her. It works well, especially when he holds her face down and horizontal so she looks a bit like a fish herself.

Thirteen days ago, Sonia grabbed her rattle. It is amazing how dexterous she has become since then. She swings her hand into place, steadies it, then carefully opens her fingers and places them into position. Then she snaps her finger closed around the rattle or whatever she has fixed on. Amazing since it is something most people do without thinking about it. How is that possible? It is a pretty complex process! She is getting better and better and can now even grab stuff beside her that she cannot see. Luckily, dog hair is too small for her to grasp since her main goal is to get any and all objects to her mouth.

It will not be long before we are feeding her some real food. I almost wrote, 'adult food', but I do not know many adults who even taste rice cereal or strained peas. She looks interested in our food now. We still let her smell our food, but now I feel more like I am teasing her rather than helping her explore. Don't worry- we will post pictures when the big event happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment